Skip to main content

Pork Bulgogi!

Pork Bulgogi  Serves 1

My first attempt to make bulgogi with a limited amount of ingredients.

Day 1
Here's what I have:

* Marinade
1/4 cup tamari 
2 tbsp brown sugar 
2 tbsp sesame oil 
3 cloves of garlic - pressed 
1 tbsp Ginger
1 tsp red pepper flakes 
1/4 tsp pepper 
6 oz pork loin Frozen for 45 minutes and thinly sliced.


The pork was marinated overnight, the recipes I found stated you could do so for an hour or two and be just fine. For this recipe I am missing red pear and red pepper paste. I'll make a second attempt when I can get those and compare. 


Day 2

Prep your finishers, I'm adding shitake mushrooms to the meat. Today I'm doing rice and red cabbage as sides.

What I have:
Marinated pork 
2 green onions sliced 
1 tbsp sesame seeds 
1/4 cup green onions white/green
1 cup red cabbage 
1 cup shitake mushrooms 
1/4 cup rice


When your rice or other sides are nearly done heat up a cast-iron grill or pan and cook the bulgogi meat. This should go fairly quickly if your slices are thin enough. I used a cast iron pan.

Once the cast iron pan was hot enough I put the meat in to cook for a few minutes before turning and then I added the white parts of the scallion and the shiitake mushrooms. Once everything was near completely done I added in the last of the green mushrooms. Toss toss toss, done.

And then I forgot to add the sesame seeds before plating and eating... oops. I'll be sure to add them on my next try. 

And now, the plate!!

I wasn't able to achieve the exact restaurant flavor, my dish was not as sweet as the kind that I've tried before. Totally ok with that though, and it was just spicy enough thankfully. The black and red pepper were a good stand in. Overall I really like this dish and look forward to making it again.

*Side note: If you wanted to you could totally do this dish just using mushrooms since they took on the flavor really well. Cooking time would be much shorter as well.

- Kris 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Orange ginger sesame burger with roasted veggies.

Making: Orange ginger sesame burger with roasted veggies. 1 serving prepared  Here's what I have: Burger and topping mix: 1 tsp Orange Ginger Spice blend  2 tsp Scallion whites  1/2 tsp Concentrated beef stock  1 tsp Ginger paste  2 tbsp Tamari Gluten-free pretzel crumbs 1 tsp honey  The rest:   5 oz Ground pork  2 tbsp Sesame seed  1/4 cup White onion  1/4 cup Russet potato  1/4 cup Carrot  Scallion greens  Preparation: Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. The ingredients for the topping and burger mix were placed in a food processor and blend it until well-mixed. Half will go into the patty and half to the topping. The patty: 1 tbsp of sesame seeds, gf crumbs and half of the mix was added to the ground pork. A patty was formed and set aside.  The potatoes and carrots were drizzled in avocado oil and baked 425 degrees for 25 minutes.  When the vegetables hit the 15-minute Mark of cooking I got a n...

Try it out: Hellofresh 31

Reviewing: Chicken sausage sweet potato and kale soup. 1 serving prepared  Here's what you get: Forgot the cheese! Sweet potato  Kale  Italian chicken sausage mix  Chili flake  Yellow onion  Italian seasoning  Chicken stock concentrate  Parmesan cheese  Not used: Demi baguette  The soup: Per instructions I started by cooking the onion and sausage together until the onions are browned and the sausage was cooked through.  Next the sweet potatoes, stock concentrate and spice packet was added along with 1 in 1/4 cup of vegetable broth. After the soup was done simmering for 7 minutes per instruction I put the kale in and let it cook for an additional seven minutes. Side: Since I can't have the baguette I made some GF cheese crackers to go along with the soup today. The process for that will be posted at a later date. The plate: And flat bread - Kris

Croissant in the making

Making: Sourdough Croissants! Makes 8-12 depending on cut size Here's what I have: Dough 28 G butter  315 g flour plus additional for dusting.  *Today I'm using King Arthur gluten free bread flour 25 G sugar  1 tsp salt  97 G sourdough starter  180 ML whole milk  Butter pad 240 G butter  Allowed to soften at room temp. Egg wash 1 large egg 2 tbsp whole milk Preparation: In total this recipe took 3 days from mixing to lamination process then baking. Day 1  The dry goods were all combined in the mixing bowl and whisked together until incorporated. The bowl is placed on the stand mixer and set to the third setting with the dough hook in. Slowly I added milk and butter in increments. Once all the what ingredients were in the bowl I turned the speed up and let it run scraping down the sides every once in a while until a dough ball formed. Making the butter sheet: While the mixer was going I placed the butter for the butter sheet in between parchment ...