Skip to main content

Try it out: Hellofresh

Reviewing: Hellofresh Baja Rockfish with yellow rice and salsa fresca. Serves 2

I only prepared a half serving for the salsa in this recipe but cooked all of the rice and Rockfish incase that didn't keep well uncooked. The chili pepper wasn't used because I'm a large baby about spicy stuff.  You can find the full recipe on their website. 

Here's what you get:


Grape tomatoes 
Cilantro 
Chili Pepper (not used)
Jasmine rice 
Sour cream 
Cumin 
Scallions 
Lime 
Turmeric 
Mushroom stock concentrate
Rockfish

The instructions, were pretty easy to follow. I did some pre-prep once I received the box so most of the ingredients that needed to be cut were ready to go. If you don't have a lemon zester, a cheese grater that has a spice grater section will work just fine.

The rice:
The package you receive will be about half a cup uncooked. This was pretty easy to prepare and should be the first thing you make per instructions, that way it is finished or near finished by the time you begin to cook the fish. 

*The only downside is the amount of leftovers. If you have them you need to find something to pair with the scallion, turmeric, mushroom stock flavor to utilize this in another meal. I did eggs over rice for lunch the following day. 

The protein:
Rockfish is not something I've had before, I was very happy with the results. It's a slightly firmer fish than most white fish I find in stores but still flaked well. A combination of cumin and turmeric on fish was new to me as well. I can't say it was my favorite for fish but it was good.

The salsa:
The Salsa Fresca was super easy and didn't require too much effort. The tomatoes were the only non cut item for this recipe. Since I only prepped half the work was quick and I didn't use the chili so that cut out a bit of prep time too. The Salsa Fresca sat unrefrigerated but covered while I finishing cooking.

The crema:
This part was super easy just don't squirt lime in your eye and you'll be fine. The crema recipe would work pretty well on other dishes and may be used for tacos or nachos in the future.

Extras:
After cooking the fish there was some good stuff in the bottom of the pan so I decided to make sauce. I just used a little bit of Veggie broth and some butter to achieve this. If you're into the spicy thing you could add some of the pepper at that end if you do this part. 

Finished dish:
I decided not to plate it exactly the way the dish is pictured because I wanted to be able to see more of the individual colors.

The lime on my plate was going to be used over the fish, I squeezed it too hard and shot it across the room instead. Oops. 

Overall this was a pretty good dish, I don't think it will be a repeat order but it was enjoyable. 

-Kris

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Orange ginger sesame burger with roasted veggies.

Making: Orange ginger sesame burger with roasted veggies. 1 serving prepared  Here's what I have: Burger and topping mix: 1 tsp Orange Ginger Spice blend  2 tsp Scallion whites  1/2 tsp Concentrated beef stock  1 tsp Ginger paste  2 tbsp Tamari Gluten-free pretzel crumbs 1 tsp honey  The rest:   5 oz Ground pork  2 tbsp Sesame seed  1/4 cup White onion  1/4 cup Russet potato  1/4 cup Carrot  Scallion greens  Preparation: Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. The ingredients for the topping and burger mix were placed in a food processor and blend it until well-mixed. Half will go into the patty and half to the topping. The patty: 1 tbsp of sesame seeds, gf crumbs and half of the mix was added to the ground pork. A patty was formed and set aside.  The potatoes and carrots were drizzled in avocado oil and baked 425 degrees for 25 minutes.  When the vegetables hit the 15-minute Mark of cooking I got a n...

Try it out: Hellofresh 31

Reviewing: Chicken sausage sweet potato and kale soup. 1 serving prepared  Here's what you get: Forgot the cheese! Sweet potato  Kale  Italian chicken sausage mix  Chili flake  Yellow onion  Italian seasoning  Chicken stock concentrate  Parmesan cheese  Not used: Demi baguette  The soup: Per instructions I started by cooking the onion and sausage together until the onions are browned and the sausage was cooked through.  Next the sweet potatoes, stock concentrate and spice packet was added along with 1 in 1/4 cup of vegetable broth. After the soup was done simmering for 7 minutes per instruction I put the kale in and let it cook for an additional seven minutes. Side: Since I can't have the baguette I made some GF cheese crackers to go along with the soup today. The process for that will be posted at a later date. The plate: And flat bread - Kris

Croissant in the making

Making: Sourdough Croissants! Makes 8-12 depending on cut size Here's what I have: Dough 28 G butter  315 g flour plus additional for dusting.  *Today I'm using King Arthur gluten free bread flour 25 G sugar  1 tsp salt  97 G sourdough starter  180 ML whole milk  Butter pad 240 G butter  Allowed to soften at room temp. Egg wash 1 large egg 2 tbsp whole milk Preparation: In total this recipe took 3 days from mixing to lamination process then baking. Day 1  The dry goods were all combined in the mixing bowl and whisked together until incorporated. The bowl is placed on the stand mixer and set to the third setting with the dough hook in. Slowly I added milk and butter in increments. Once all the what ingredients were in the bowl I turned the speed up and let it run scraping down the sides every once in a while until a dough ball formed. Making the butter sheet: While the mixer was going I placed the butter for the butter sheet in between parchment ...