Skip to main content

Dinner on Spice Islands

Making:

Sweet and spicy pork chops with caramelized onions, sweet potatoes and asparagus.

1 serving prepared 

Here's what I have:

1/2  Cup Broth 
6 oz Pork chops 
1/2  Cup Sweet potato cubed
8 oz Asparagus 
1/4  Cup White onion 
**
1 Tbsp Butter cut in half
Spice Island sweet and spicy seasoning

How to prepare:

Since sweet potatoes take a while to cook in the oven I decided to steam them. While the water was coming to a boil I coated the pork chops in the spice and set them aside.  

The potatoes were steamed for 10 minutes at med-high heat first then the heat was turned to warm. I put the asparagus into the steamer basket with them and put the lid back on the pot.

I used my cast iron pan, heating it up (high temp) before placing half of the butter into it. Pork chops were cooked in the pan, turned down to medium heat for a total of 8 minutes, 4 minutes for each side. Once they were done I took them out of the pan and set them on the plate.

* these chops were the second portion from my last Hellofresh box and were very thin so cooking time was fast. 

Next I turned the heat up on the cast iron and put the onions in, browning them slightly first and then adding broth. I  cooked them until the liquid was reduced and the onions were brown and caramelized they also took on the rest of the flavor from the pork chops. These were then added to the plate.

Next I added the (cooked but still firm) sweet potatoes to the pan with half of the remaining butter and rolled them around to take up some more of the flavor. I removed them from the pan and added them to the plate.

Last the asparagus went into the pan with the remaining butter and I rolled those around picking up any remaining flavor and coating them in the rest of the melting butter. And then added them to the plate.

The plate!


My latest adventure into spicy food land was pretty nice, runny nose and all. Next I'd like to try this on barbecue of some sort. 

- Kris 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Orange ginger sesame burger with roasted veggies.

Making: Orange ginger sesame burger with roasted veggies. 1 serving prepared  Here's what I have: Burger and topping mix: 1 tsp Orange Ginger Spice blend  2 tsp Scallion whites  1/2 tsp Concentrated beef stock  1 tsp Ginger paste  2 tbsp Tamari Gluten-free pretzel crumbs 1 tsp honey  The rest:   5 oz Ground pork  2 tbsp Sesame seed  1/4 cup White onion  1/4 cup Russet potato  1/4 cup Carrot  Scallion greens  Preparation: Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. The ingredients for the topping and burger mix were placed in a food processor and blend it until well-mixed. Half will go into the patty and half to the topping. The patty: 1 tbsp of sesame seeds, gf crumbs and half of the mix was added to the ground pork. A patty was formed and set aside.  The potatoes and carrots were drizzled in avocado oil and baked 425 degrees for 25 minutes.  When the vegetables hit the 15-minute Mark of cooking I got a n...

Try it out: Hellofresh 31

Reviewing: Chicken sausage sweet potato and kale soup. 1 serving prepared  Here's what you get: Forgot the cheese! Sweet potato  Kale  Italian chicken sausage mix  Chili flake  Yellow onion  Italian seasoning  Chicken stock concentrate  Parmesan cheese  Not used: Demi baguette  The soup: Per instructions I started by cooking the onion and sausage together until the onions are browned and the sausage was cooked through.  Next the sweet potatoes, stock concentrate and spice packet was added along with 1 in 1/4 cup of vegetable broth. After the soup was done simmering for 7 minutes per instruction I put the kale in and let it cook for an additional seven minutes. Side: Since I can't have the baguette I made some GF cheese crackers to go along with the soup today. The process for that will be posted at a later date. The plate: And flat bread - Kris

Croissant in the making

Making: Sourdough Croissants! Makes 8-12 depending on cut size Here's what I have: Dough 28 G butter  315 g flour plus additional for dusting.  *Today I'm using King Arthur gluten free bread flour 25 G sugar  1 tsp salt  97 G sourdough starter  180 ML whole milk  Butter pad 240 G butter  Allowed to soften at room temp. Egg wash 1 large egg 2 tbsp whole milk Preparation: In total this recipe took 3 days from mixing to lamination process then baking. Day 1  The dry goods were all combined in the mixing bowl and whisked together until incorporated. The bowl is placed on the stand mixer and set to the third setting with the dough hook in. Slowly I added milk and butter in increments. Once all the what ingredients were in the bowl I turned the speed up and let it run scraping down the sides every once in a while until a dough ball formed. Making the butter sheet: While the mixer was going I placed the butter for the butter sheet in between parchment ...