Skip to main content

Try it out: Hellofresh 3

Reviewing: Hellofresh crispy chicken legs with scallion chimichurri and black beans over lime rice. 

1 serving prepared 

The full recipe can be found on the Hellofresh website.

Here's what you get:


Scallion 
Roma tomato 
Black beans 
Chicken leg
Jasmine rice (not used)
Garlic 
Lime 
Chicken stock concentrate 
Southwest spice blend 
Sour cream

So many of these recipes include rice and I'm having rice-fatigue so I'm substituting diced roasted potatoes (1 cup). The beans were drained while the other items were prepared.

The protein:

After this was pretty straightforward you just salt and season with the Southwest season and get it into the preheated oven.

The not rice:

Instead of rice I used pre diced potatoes, a little bit of oil and put some of the Southwest season then set to the side. These went in later, about 16 minutes before the chicken was set to be done placed in the same pan.

The tomato and beans:

This is also pretty straightforward the garlic and tomato were cooked first and then the beans added to the pan Once everything was complete it was set to the side.

The chimichurri and crema:

Another easy make, I put them together while the beans were cooking and set them aside. 

The plate!

I really like this dish and was very glad I subbed the rice for potatoes. Doing so actually cut down on additional cooking time and prep work, mainly because I already had some diced potatoes that needed to be used. 

No limes were shot across the room this time, win!  I'll definitely be trying this dish again. Of the three selections for the week this one was the quickest to complete.

- Kris

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Orange ginger sesame burger with roasted veggies.

Making: Orange ginger sesame burger with roasted veggies. 1 serving prepared  Here's what I have: Burger and topping mix: 1 tsp Orange Ginger Spice blend  2 tsp Scallion whites  1/2 tsp Concentrated beef stock  1 tsp Ginger paste  2 tbsp Tamari Gluten-free pretzel crumbs 1 tsp honey  The rest:   5 oz Ground pork  2 tbsp Sesame seed  1/4 cup White onion  1/4 cup Russet potato  1/4 cup Carrot  Scallion greens  Preparation: Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. The ingredients for the topping and burger mix were placed in a food processor and blend it until well-mixed. Half will go into the patty and half to the topping. The patty: 1 tbsp of sesame seeds, gf crumbs and half of the mix was added to the ground pork. A patty was formed and set aside.  The potatoes and carrots were drizzled in avocado oil and baked 425 degrees for 25 minutes.  When the vegetables hit the 15-minute Mark of cooking I got a n...

Try it out: Hellofresh 31

Reviewing: Chicken sausage sweet potato and kale soup. 1 serving prepared  Here's what you get: Forgot the cheese! Sweet potato  Kale  Italian chicken sausage mix  Chili flake  Yellow onion  Italian seasoning  Chicken stock concentrate  Parmesan cheese  Not used: Demi baguette  The soup: Per instructions I started by cooking the onion and sausage together until the onions are browned and the sausage was cooked through.  Next the sweet potatoes, stock concentrate and spice packet was added along with 1 in 1/4 cup of vegetable broth. After the soup was done simmering for 7 minutes per instruction I put the kale in and let it cook for an additional seven minutes. Side: Since I can't have the baguette I made some GF cheese crackers to go along with the soup today. The process for that will be posted at a later date. The plate: And flat bread - Kris

Croissant in the making

Making: Sourdough Croissants! Makes 8-12 depending on cut size Here's what I have: Dough 28 G butter  315 g flour plus additional for dusting.  *Today I'm using King Arthur gluten free bread flour 25 G sugar  1 tsp salt  97 G sourdough starter  180 ML whole milk  Butter pad 240 G butter  Allowed to soften at room temp. Egg wash 1 large egg 2 tbsp whole milk Preparation: In total this recipe took 3 days from mixing to lamination process then baking. Day 1  The dry goods were all combined in the mixing bowl and whisked together until incorporated. The bowl is placed on the stand mixer and set to the third setting with the dough hook in. Slowly I added milk and butter in increments. Once all the what ingredients were in the bowl I turned the speed up and let it run scraping down the sides every once in a while until a dough ball formed. Making the butter sheet: While the mixer was going I placed the butter for the butter sheet in between parchment ...