Skip to main content

Tonkatsu sauce GF

Making:

Gluten free components for dinner 

*Modifying various Tonkatsu sauce recipes to make a gluten-free version.

*Turning Glutino pretzels into crumbs for breading 

I have a Hello fresh meal that required katsu sauce. Unfortunately I can't use what they sent so I'm going to try and make my own utilizing what I have on hand. I looked at a variety of recipes to come up with this mix.

Here's what I have:



1.5 tsp Worcestershire sauce 
2 tbsp Tamari 
2 tsp Dry mustard 
1 tsp Ginger paste 
1 clove Garlic 
1/8 tsp Allspice 
3 tbsp Apple cider vinegar 
1/8 tsp Onion powder 
1 tsp Dro Di Parma tomato paste

2 oz Glutino gf pretzel sticks 

Tonkatsu preparation:

After running the garlic through the garlic press I put the components in a saucepan and let it heat up until the sugar was dissolved.

Breadcrumb  preparation:

To crush these up I used a mortar and pestle normally I would run these through the food processor but it wasn't working.  Alternatively you could put these in a bag and beat them with a mallet or rolling pin until you have a consistent crumb.



After preparation I ended up with a little over 1 oz of sauce and 2 oz of crumbs. I'm not sure if the Tonkatsu sauce I made comes close to  what was sent but I do like the flavor of it.

- Kris




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Orange ginger sesame burger with roasted veggies.

Making: Orange ginger sesame burger with roasted veggies. 1 serving prepared  Here's what I have: Burger and topping mix: 1 tsp Orange Ginger Spice blend  2 tsp Scallion whites  1/2 tsp Concentrated beef stock  1 tsp Ginger paste  2 tbsp Tamari Gluten-free pretzel crumbs 1 tsp honey  The rest:   5 oz Ground pork  2 tbsp Sesame seed  1/4 cup White onion  1/4 cup Russet potato  1/4 cup Carrot  Scallion greens  Preparation: Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. The ingredients for the topping and burger mix were placed in a food processor and blend it until well-mixed. Half will go into the patty and half to the topping. The patty: 1 tbsp of sesame seeds, gf crumbs and half of the mix was added to the ground pork. A patty was formed and set aside.  The potatoes and carrots were drizzled in avocado oil and baked 425 degrees for 25 minutes.  When the vegetables hit the 15-minute Mark of cooking I got a n...

Croissant in the making

Making: Sourdough Croissants! Makes 8-12 depending on cut size Here's what I have: Dough 28 G butter  315 g flour plus additional for dusting.  *Today I'm using King Arthur gluten free bread flour 25 G sugar  1 tsp salt  97 G sourdough starter  180 ML whole milk  Butter pad 240 G butter  Allowed to soften at room temp. Egg wash 1 large egg 2 tbsp whole milk Preparation: In total this recipe took 3 days from mixing to lamination process then baking. Day 1  The dry goods were all combined in the mixing bowl and whisked together until incorporated. The bowl is placed on the stand mixer and set to the third setting with the dough hook in. Slowly I added milk and butter in increments. Once all the what ingredients were in the bowl I turned the speed up and let it run scraping down the sides every once in a while until a dough ball formed. Making the butter sheet: While the mixer was going I placed the butter for the butter sheet in between parchment ...

Try it out: Hellofresh 31

Reviewing: Chicken sausage sweet potato and kale soup. 1 serving prepared  Here's what you get: Forgot the cheese! Sweet potato  Kale  Italian chicken sausage mix  Chili flake  Yellow onion  Italian seasoning  Chicken stock concentrate  Parmesan cheese  Not used: Demi baguette  The soup: Per instructions I started by cooking the onion and sausage together until the onions are browned and the sausage was cooked through.  Next the sweet potatoes, stock concentrate and spice packet was added along with 1 in 1/4 cup of vegetable broth. After the soup was done simmering for 7 minutes per instruction I put the kale in and let it cook for an additional seven minutes. Side: Since I can't have the baguette I made some GF cheese crackers to go along with the soup today. The process for that will be posted at a later date. The plate: And flat bread - Kris