Skip to main content

Try it out: Hellofresh 14

Reviewing:

Balsamic fig chicken with roasted potatoes & lemony broccoli

1 serving prepared 

Here's what you get:


Yukon Gold potatoes 
Rosemary 
Balsamic vinegar 
Chicken stock concentrate 
Lemon shallot 
Chicken breast 
Fig Jam 
Broccoli floret

The potatoes:

I prepped these by cutting and leaving these in water early in the day.  It helps the skin come out crisp during roasting. Per recipe these get tossed in oil with a small amount of salt and pepper.  I put them in the oven before continuing. Cook time was 26 mins. 

The protein:

The cutlets I got this time were bigger than usual.  I cooked them in the cast iron for 14 minutes after dusting with garlic and onion powder. Salt wasn't added because the vinegar based sauce usually comes out pretty strong and salty.  

The broccoli:

When the potatoes were at the 10 min mark I added the broccoli to the pan. These were cooked for 15 minutes total. 

The sauce:

In a separate sauce pan the ingredients for the fig sauce were added and cooked until reduced. I didn't cook these in the cast iron because I wanted to retain the color of the sauce. 

The plate:


After having the fig sauce in another dish I was excited to try it again, The sauce was cooked separate from the cast-iron this time, this ensured the color was retained. 

- Kris

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Orange ginger sesame burger with roasted veggies.

Making: Orange ginger sesame burger with roasted veggies. 1 serving prepared  Here's what I have: Burger and topping mix: 1 tsp Orange Ginger Spice blend  2 tsp Scallion whites  1/2 tsp Concentrated beef stock  1 tsp Ginger paste  2 tbsp Tamari Gluten-free pretzel crumbs 1 tsp honey  The rest:   5 oz Ground pork  2 tbsp Sesame seed  1/4 cup White onion  1/4 cup Russet potato  1/4 cup Carrot  Scallion greens  Preparation: Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. The ingredients for the topping and burger mix were placed in a food processor and blend it until well-mixed. Half will go into the patty and half to the topping. The patty: 1 tbsp of sesame seeds, gf crumbs and half of the mix was added to the ground pork. A patty was formed and set aside.  The potatoes and carrots were drizzled in avocado oil and baked 425 degrees for 25 minutes.  When the vegetables hit the 15-minute Mark of cooking I got a n...

Try it out: Hellofresh 31

Reviewing: Chicken sausage sweet potato and kale soup. 1 serving prepared  Here's what you get: Forgot the cheese! Sweet potato  Kale  Italian chicken sausage mix  Chili flake  Yellow onion  Italian seasoning  Chicken stock concentrate  Parmesan cheese  Not used: Demi baguette  The soup: Per instructions I started by cooking the onion and sausage together until the onions are browned and the sausage was cooked through.  Next the sweet potatoes, stock concentrate and spice packet was added along with 1 in 1/4 cup of vegetable broth. After the soup was done simmering for 7 minutes per instruction I put the kale in and let it cook for an additional seven minutes. Side: Since I can't have the baguette I made some GF cheese crackers to go along with the soup today. The process for that will be posted at a later date. The plate: And flat bread - Kris

Croissant in the making

Making: Sourdough Croissants! Makes 8-12 depending on cut size Here's what I have: Dough 28 G butter  315 g flour plus additional for dusting.  *Today I'm using King Arthur gluten free bread flour 25 G sugar  1 tsp salt  97 G sourdough starter  180 ML whole milk  Butter pad 240 G butter  Allowed to soften at room temp. Egg wash 1 large egg 2 tbsp whole milk Preparation: In total this recipe took 3 days from mixing to lamination process then baking. Day 1  The dry goods were all combined in the mixing bowl and whisked together until incorporated. The bowl is placed on the stand mixer and set to the third setting with the dough hook in. Slowly I added milk and butter in increments. Once all the what ingredients were in the bowl I turned the speed up and let it run scraping down the sides every once in a while until a dough ball formed. Making the butter sheet: While the mixer was going I placed the butter for the butter sheet in between parchment ...