Skip to main content

Try it out: Hellofresh 39

Reviewing:

Sweet chili pork bowl with bell pepper and peanuts

1 serving prepared 

Here's what you get:


Bell pepper 
Yellow onion 
Cilantro 
Lime 
Peanut 
Ground pork 
Sweet Thai chili sauce 

Not used:
Sweet soy glaze 
Jasmine rice 

Substitutes:
Honey/Tamari 
Cauliflower

The peanuts:

These are cooked using water and a little bit of sugar for the instructions until all of the liquid was dissolved in the pan. Once this was finished the peanuts were set to the side while I prepare the rest of the meal.

The onions and peppers:

These were cooked with a small bit of butter until the onions were going clear and everything had a nice color to it. This took around 8 minutes to complete.

The protein:

After the vegetables were done I have removed them to separate Bowl and began browning the ground pork. Once it was cooked through I added the onion and pepper mix back in and then continue cooking adding the tamari/honey mix and the sweet chili sauce. The lid was placed on the pot (heat on low) while I prepared the cauliflower.

Extras:

I replaced the rice with cauliflower, it was steamed for 12 minutes and then broken up with a potato masher.  The cauliflower was then prepared like the rice using the lime zest, juice and a bit of salt.

The plate:


Replacing the rice with cauliflower here was a great trade-off. The meal was still filling but less carb heavy. The peanuts, I think they would have worked a bit better if I had run them through a food processor first to break them up. That way I could have used less sugar, they were pretty good as is though.  I also enjoyed how colorful the plate was. I'd like to try this again with Cilantro Lime shrimp sometime. 

- Kris

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Orange ginger sesame burger with roasted veggies.

Making: Orange ginger sesame burger with roasted veggies. 1 serving prepared  Here's what I have: Burger and topping mix: 1 tsp Orange Ginger Spice blend  2 tsp Scallion whites  1/2 tsp Concentrated beef stock  1 tsp Ginger paste  2 tbsp Tamari Gluten-free pretzel crumbs 1 tsp honey  The rest:   5 oz Ground pork  2 tbsp Sesame seed  1/4 cup White onion  1/4 cup Russet potato  1/4 cup Carrot  Scallion greens  Preparation: Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. The ingredients for the topping and burger mix were placed in a food processor and blend it until well-mixed. Half will go into the patty and half to the topping. The patty: 1 tbsp of sesame seeds, gf crumbs and half of the mix was added to the ground pork. A patty was formed and set aside.  The potatoes and carrots were drizzled in avocado oil and baked 425 degrees for 25 minutes.  When the vegetables hit the 15-minute Mark of cooking I got a n...

Try it out: Hellofresh 31

Reviewing: Chicken sausage sweet potato and kale soup. 1 serving prepared  Here's what you get: Forgot the cheese! Sweet potato  Kale  Italian chicken sausage mix  Chili flake  Yellow onion  Italian seasoning  Chicken stock concentrate  Parmesan cheese  Not used: Demi baguette  The soup: Per instructions I started by cooking the onion and sausage together until the onions are browned and the sausage was cooked through.  Next the sweet potatoes, stock concentrate and spice packet was added along with 1 in 1/4 cup of vegetable broth. After the soup was done simmering for 7 minutes per instruction I put the kale in and let it cook for an additional seven minutes. Side: Since I can't have the baguette I made some GF cheese crackers to go along with the soup today. The process for that will be posted at a later date. The plate: And flat bread - Kris

Croissant in the making

Making: Sourdough Croissants! Makes 8-12 depending on cut size Here's what I have: Dough 28 G butter  315 g flour plus additional for dusting.  *Today I'm using King Arthur gluten free bread flour 25 G sugar  1 tsp salt  97 G sourdough starter  180 ML whole milk  Butter pad 240 G butter  Allowed to soften at room temp. Egg wash 1 large egg 2 tbsp whole milk Preparation: In total this recipe took 3 days from mixing to lamination process then baking. Day 1  The dry goods were all combined in the mixing bowl and whisked together until incorporated. The bowl is placed on the stand mixer and set to the third setting with the dough hook in. Slowly I added milk and butter in increments. Once all the what ingredients were in the bowl I turned the speed up and let it run scraping down the sides every once in a while until a dough ball formed. Making the butter sheet: While the mixer was going I placed the butter for the butter sheet in between parchment ...