Skip to main content

Try it out: Hellofresh 40

Reviewing:

Balsamic tomato Parmesan risotto with basil oil and zucchini.

1 serving prepared 

Here's what you get:


Veggie stock concentrate 
Arborio rice 
Grape tomato 
Basil oil 
Parmesan cheese 
Scallion 
Tuscan heat spice 
Zucchini 
Balsamic vinegar

The veggies:

The veggies were roasted in the oven instead of pan cooked to save time. The temperature in time, 375°  for 15 minutes. They went in as the risotto was being prepared. 

Before putting them in the oven I coated them in a little bit of avocado oil, vinegar and Tuscan heat spice. 

The risotto:

Since I'm only preparing one serving I only used two cups of water and the stock concentrate bringing them to a boil then reducing to a simmer. In a separate pan using avocado oil the scallion whites were cooked until soft, the Tuscan heat spice and rice was added. These were cooked until the scallions were translucent per the directions.

Next the stock was added in 1/4 cup increments until the liquid was mostly absorbed repeating the process until all the liquid was added and absorbed. 

Once the risotto was done per the instructions I added a half a teaspoon of butter and half of the parmesan, stirring until the cheese was melted.

When everything was ready to plate the dish was topped with the veggies, scallion greens,  parmesan and basil oil.

The plate:



I was a bit intimidated by making risotto for the first time this is why I changed up the way it was cooked. With the veggies going in the oven I was able to focus on making sure the risotto it's not under or over done.

The flavors in this dish were super strong.  I didn't account for the fact that the stock concentrate was enough for two servings.  Thankfully I didn't add additional salt so it came out pretty well in the end.  

- Kris

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Orange ginger sesame burger with roasted veggies.

Making: Orange ginger sesame burger with roasted veggies. 1 serving prepared  Here's what I have: Burger and topping mix: 1 tsp Orange Ginger Spice blend  2 tsp Scallion whites  1/2 tsp Concentrated beef stock  1 tsp Ginger paste  2 tbsp Tamari Gluten-free pretzel crumbs 1 tsp honey  The rest:   5 oz Ground pork  2 tbsp Sesame seed  1/4 cup White onion  1/4 cup Russet potato  1/4 cup Carrot  Scallion greens  Preparation: Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. The ingredients for the topping and burger mix were placed in a food processor and blend it until well-mixed. Half will go into the patty and half to the topping. The patty: 1 tbsp of sesame seeds, gf crumbs and half of the mix was added to the ground pork. A patty was formed and set aside.  The potatoes and carrots were drizzled in avocado oil and baked 425 degrees for 25 minutes.  When the vegetables hit the 15-minute Mark of cooking I got a n...

Try it out: Hellofresh 31

Reviewing: Chicken sausage sweet potato and kale soup. 1 serving prepared  Here's what you get: Forgot the cheese! Sweet potato  Kale  Italian chicken sausage mix  Chili flake  Yellow onion  Italian seasoning  Chicken stock concentrate  Parmesan cheese  Not used: Demi baguette  The soup: Per instructions I started by cooking the onion and sausage together until the onions are browned and the sausage was cooked through.  Next the sweet potatoes, stock concentrate and spice packet was added along with 1 in 1/4 cup of vegetable broth. After the soup was done simmering for 7 minutes per instruction I put the kale in and let it cook for an additional seven minutes. Side: Since I can't have the baguette I made some GF cheese crackers to go along with the soup today. The process for that will be posted at a later date. The plate: And flat bread - Kris

Croissant in the making

Making: Sourdough Croissants! Makes 8-12 depending on cut size Here's what I have: Dough 28 G butter  315 g flour plus additional for dusting.  *Today I'm using King Arthur gluten free bread flour 25 G sugar  1 tsp salt  97 G sourdough starter  180 ML whole milk  Butter pad 240 G butter  Allowed to soften at room temp. Egg wash 1 large egg 2 tbsp whole milk Preparation: In total this recipe took 3 days from mixing to lamination process then baking. Day 1  The dry goods were all combined in the mixing bowl and whisked together until incorporated. The bowl is placed on the stand mixer and set to the third setting with the dough hook in. Slowly I added milk and butter in increments. Once all the what ingredients were in the bowl I turned the speed up and let it run scraping down the sides every once in a while until a dough ball formed. Making the butter sheet: While the mixer was going I placed the butter for the butter sheet in between parchment ...