Skip to main content

Try it out: Hellofresh 42

Reviewing:

Crispy southwestern chicken cutlets with monterey jack mashed potatoes and roasted veggies

1 serving prepared 

Here's what you get:


Yukon Gold potato 
Poblano pepper 
Monterey Jack cheese 
Chili powder 
Sour cream 
Yellow onion 
Southwest spice blend 
Chicken cutlet 
Hot sauce 

Not used:
Panko bread crumb 

Substitute:
Gluten-free breadcrumb

The potatoes part 1:

After cutting,the potatoes are boiled for 15 minutes and then most of the liquid was drained. These were not finished until the last part of the meal preparation.

The roasted veggies:

After preheating the oven to 425 degrees the vegetables were prepared. First the onion was thin sliced along with the Poblano pepper. Salt and pepper were added last before putting these on the roasting pan and put it in the oven for 5 minutes.

The protein:

Some of the gluten-free bread crumb was combined with the Monterey Jack, some of the chili powder and Southwest spice blend and a drizzle of oil. 

The chicken was Pat dry and then sprinkled with salt and pepper. The tops were brushed with sour cream and the gluten-free breadcrumb combo was then pressed firm to adhere to the chicken. The recipe also calls to drizzle the chicken with a bit of oil before placing on the roasting pan with the vegetables and putting it back in the oven for 18 minutes.

The potatoes part 2:

Now back to the potatoes, these were mashed until chunky and one tablespoon of butter was added along with the rest of the sour cream. If there's any left over cheese it could certainly be added at this point as well.

The plate:


I used all of the poblano pepper and half of the onion here so the dish was really punchy. Using the gluten-free breadcrumb here was really nice to bring the dish closer to the original. The chicken was very thin so it was ready pretty quickly. 18 minutes was a bit too much, 15 would have been better. 

Some more cheese for the potatoes would have been great here but all of the flavors were really nice and I'd like to try this dish again with roasted potatoes instead of mashed. Also I forgot to add the hot sauce.


- Kris

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Orange ginger sesame burger with roasted veggies.

Making: Orange ginger sesame burger with roasted veggies. 1 serving prepared  Here's what I have: Burger and topping mix: 1 tsp Orange Ginger Spice blend  2 tsp Scallion whites  1/2 tsp Concentrated beef stock  1 tsp Ginger paste  2 tbsp Tamari Gluten-free pretzel crumbs 1 tsp honey  The rest:   5 oz Ground pork  2 tbsp Sesame seed  1/4 cup White onion  1/4 cup Russet potato  1/4 cup Carrot  Scallion greens  Preparation: Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. The ingredients for the topping and burger mix were placed in a food processor and blend it until well-mixed. Half will go into the patty and half to the topping. The patty: 1 tbsp of sesame seeds, gf crumbs and half of the mix was added to the ground pork. A patty was formed and set aside.  The potatoes and carrots were drizzled in avocado oil and baked 425 degrees for 25 minutes.  When the vegetables hit the 15-minute Mark of cooking I got a n...

Croissant in the making

Making: Sourdough Croissants! Makes 8-12 depending on cut size Here's what I have: Dough 28 G butter  315 g flour plus additional for dusting.  *Today I'm using King Arthur gluten free bread flour 25 G sugar  1 tsp salt  97 G sourdough starter  180 ML whole milk  Butter pad 240 G butter  Allowed to soften at room temp. Egg wash 1 large egg 2 tbsp whole milk Preparation: In total this recipe took 3 days from mixing to lamination process then baking. Day 1  The dry goods were all combined in the mixing bowl and whisked together until incorporated. The bowl is placed on the stand mixer and set to the third setting with the dough hook in. Slowly I added milk and butter in increments. Once all the what ingredients were in the bowl I turned the speed up and let it run scraping down the sides every once in a while until a dough ball formed. Making the butter sheet: While the mixer was going I placed the butter for the butter sheet in between parchment ...

Try it out: Hellofresh 31

Reviewing: Chicken sausage sweet potato and kale soup. 1 serving prepared  Here's what you get: Forgot the cheese! Sweet potato  Kale  Italian chicken sausage mix  Chili flake  Yellow onion  Italian seasoning  Chicken stock concentrate  Parmesan cheese  Not used: Demi baguette  The soup: Per instructions I started by cooking the onion and sausage together until the onions are browned and the sausage was cooked through.  Next the sweet potatoes, stock concentrate and spice packet was added along with 1 in 1/4 cup of vegetable broth. After the soup was done simmering for 7 minutes per instruction I put the kale in and let it cook for an additional seven minutes. Side: Since I can't have the baguette I made some GF cheese crackers to go along with the soup today. The process for that will be posted at a later date. The plate: And flat bread - Kris