Skip to main content

Steamed dumplings

Making:

Steamed satay dumplings with cucumber salad.

The dough is made from a recipe that can be found on this channel. The wrapper preparation is featured at the 3:20 mark. I will try her recipe in full another day.

35 dumplings and 3 salad servings prepared 

Here's what I have:

The wrapper:

125g brown rice flour 
125g tapioca flour 
152g gluten-free mix 
4 gram xanthan gum 
255 grams hot water


The filling:

6 oz ground pork
1 packets thai satay seasoning 
1 half sweet onion Blended 
1 tbsp soy sauce 

The salad:

1 large shallot
3 Persian cucumbers 
2 ounces distilled white vinegar 
1 tbsp sugar 
1 quarter teaspoon salt 
1 teaspoon red pepper flakes 
1 oz water

Other:

Satay dipping sauce 


Preparation:

1)
The Dumpling dough was created by mixing all the dry ingredients first and then adding the  hot water until a dough ball formed. The dough ball was allowed to rest while the filling and salad were prepared.

2)

The shallot and cucumber were sliced thin and then combined with the vinegar,  sugar, salt and red pepper flake. This was covered and set aside so it could marinate.

3)
To make the filling the onion was run through the food processor before mixing  into the ground pork along with the satay seasoning and soy sauce.  The pork mix was set in the fridge while the dumpling wrappers were prepped.

4)
To make the wrapper's 3/4 of the dough would be used, the rest was placed in the fridge. Additional tapioca flour was used here for dusting. Rolling the dough into a long tube it was then cut into 1 inch sections. The sections would be flattened and then rolled out with a hand roller until a 3 inch diameter was achieved. In the end I ended up with a total of 36  wrappers.

To fill the dumplings 1/2 teaspoon spoon was used to measure the meat for the dumplings and the edges were wet and sealed together. I ended up folding them like a ravioli to make sure they were well closed. After all of the rappers were filled they were then placed in the fridge to chill.

Once it was time to cook a pot of water was set to boil and a steamer basket was placed inside, the dumplings were then added to the steamer basket in two separate batches and allowed to steam for 18 minutes  each batch.

To plate half of the bowl is filled with salad and the other half with some of the dumplings. Dipping sauce was served on the side.


The plate!


This is my second attempt at making dumplings the first batch were very awkward and thick but the dough recipe works really well. For this second attempt I was able to roll the wrapper's thinner and make them slightly neater.

And here is the Friday version (attempt 4) with soup.


I've never had a something before but I really like the texture on both the wrapper and the filling here.  These taste best right out of the steamer basket.  I will also try the rest of the dough cheese filled and fried.

- Kris 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Orange ginger sesame burger with roasted veggies.

Making: Orange ginger sesame burger with roasted veggies. 1 serving prepared  Here's what I have: Burger and topping mix: 1 tsp Orange Ginger Spice blend  2 tsp Scallion whites  1/2 tsp Concentrated beef stock  1 tsp Ginger paste  2 tbsp Tamari Gluten-free pretzel crumbs 1 tsp honey  The rest:   5 oz Ground pork  2 tbsp Sesame seed  1/4 cup White onion  1/4 cup Russet potato  1/4 cup Carrot  Scallion greens  Preparation: Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. The ingredients for the topping and burger mix were placed in a food processor and blend it until well-mixed. Half will go into the patty and half to the topping. The patty: 1 tbsp of sesame seeds, gf crumbs and half of the mix was added to the ground pork. A patty was formed and set aside.  The potatoes and carrots were drizzled in avocado oil and baked 425 degrees for 25 minutes.  When the vegetables hit the 15-minute Mark of cooking I got a n...

Croissant in the making

Making: Sourdough Croissants! Makes 8-12 depending on cut size Here's what I have: Dough 28 G butter  315 g flour plus additional for dusting.  *Today I'm using King Arthur gluten free bread flour 25 G sugar  1 tsp salt  97 G sourdough starter  180 ML whole milk  Butter pad 240 G butter  Allowed to soften at room temp. Egg wash 1 large egg 2 tbsp whole milk Preparation: In total this recipe took 3 days from mixing to lamination process then baking. Day 1  The dry goods were all combined in the mixing bowl and whisked together until incorporated. The bowl is placed on the stand mixer and set to the third setting with the dough hook in. Slowly I added milk and butter in increments. Once all the what ingredients were in the bowl I turned the speed up and let it run scraping down the sides every once in a while until a dough ball formed. Making the butter sheet: While the mixer was going I placed the butter for the butter sheet in between parchment ...

Try it out: Hellofresh 31

Reviewing: Chicken sausage sweet potato and kale soup. 1 serving prepared  Here's what you get: Forgot the cheese! Sweet potato  Kale  Italian chicken sausage mix  Chili flake  Yellow onion  Italian seasoning  Chicken stock concentrate  Parmesan cheese  Not used: Demi baguette  The soup: Per instructions I started by cooking the onion and sausage together until the onions are browned and the sausage was cooked through.  Next the sweet potatoes, stock concentrate and spice packet was added along with 1 in 1/4 cup of vegetable broth. After the soup was done simmering for 7 minutes per instruction I put the kale in and let it cook for an additional seven minutes. Side: Since I can't have the baguette I made some GF cheese crackers to go along with the soup today. The process for that will be posted at a later date. The plate: And flat bread - Kris