Skip to main content

Hawaiian rolls GFoaSS

Try it out: Gluten-free on a shoestring 

Website recipe link.

I used the book to break down the recipe into a smaller batch. Premade gluten-free flour was used here. 



Making:

Hawaiian rolls mini batch

4 rolls baked

Here's what I have:

105 gr Pamela's all purpose GF flour mix.
1.5 gr Yeast.
12.5 gr Sugar.
1.5 gr Kosher salt.
14 gr  Unsalted butter room temp.
1 Egg beaten minus 2 tbsp.
2.3 oz  Pineapple juice.

Egg wash 
2 tbsp egg  + 1 tsp water


Preparation: 

The small convection oven was turned on to the warm setting and the bottom catch pan was filled with water. This will help the proofing process. The original recipe also calls for instant rise yeast which I do not have so standard yeast was used here.


The dry ingredients were combined in a bowl and mixed together until well incorporated. 

In a separate Bowl the egg was beaten and one tablespoon removed to use for the egg wash. 2 oz + 1 tbsp of pineapple juice was measured out and added to the dry mix. This was mixed with a a stand mixer until the dough was partially crumbly and then the butter was added. The mixer was turned on again and allowed to run until the dough is well incorporated. I had to add an additional tablespoon of flour before the dough was able to be handled without being too sticky.

A large dough ball was formed and this was placed into the steaming convection oven in a bowl and allowed to rise for about an hour and 20 minutes.


 After rising four dough balls were formed and then allowed to rise for another 30 minutes. While the dough balls were Rising one last time the oven was set to preheat at 350°

Once the final rise was done the rolls were brushed with the egg wash and placed into the oven for 22 minutes. The oven was turned off in the rolls were allowed to sit in the oven for another 6 minutes before removing. Cuz the service came out cracked I decided to brush them with butter.

The plate:

Right out of the oven they smell great!


The look of these rolls did not match the websites Hawaiian rolls but that's to be expected since the type of yeast and preparation play a role here. The next time I try this it will be a half batch instead and I might play with rolling the individual rolls and allowing them to rise that way instead of as one lump of dough. Hopefully that'll give a smooth surface. 

The texture was closer to cornbread and the flavor was good overall. I'll definitely need to try this again with a different flour blend next time. One thing I know would have helped would be to let the yeast activate before mixing the dough.  

- Kris

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Orange ginger sesame burger with roasted veggies.

Making: Orange ginger sesame burger with roasted veggies. 1 serving prepared  Here's what I have: Burger and topping mix: 1 tsp Orange Ginger Spice blend  2 tsp Scallion whites  1/2 tsp Concentrated beef stock  1 tsp Ginger paste  2 tbsp Tamari Gluten-free pretzel crumbs 1 tsp honey  The rest:   5 oz Ground pork  2 tbsp Sesame seed  1/4 cup White onion  1/4 cup Russet potato  1/4 cup Carrot  Scallion greens  Preparation: Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. The ingredients for the topping and burger mix were placed in a food processor and blend it until well-mixed. Half will go into the patty and half to the topping. The patty: 1 tbsp of sesame seeds, gf crumbs and half of the mix was added to the ground pork. A patty was formed and set aside.  The potatoes and carrots were drizzled in avocado oil and baked 425 degrees for 25 minutes.  When the vegetables hit the 15-minute Mark of cooking I got a n...

Try it out: Hellofresh 31

Reviewing: Chicken sausage sweet potato and kale soup. 1 serving prepared  Here's what you get: Forgot the cheese! Sweet potato  Kale  Italian chicken sausage mix  Chili flake  Yellow onion  Italian seasoning  Chicken stock concentrate  Parmesan cheese  Not used: Demi baguette  The soup: Per instructions I started by cooking the onion and sausage together until the onions are browned and the sausage was cooked through.  Next the sweet potatoes, stock concentrate and spice packet was added along with 1 in 1/4 cup of vegetable broth. After the soup was done simmering for 7 minutes per instruction I put the kale in and let it cook for an additional seven minutes. Side: Since I can't have the baguette I made some GF cheese crackers to go along with the soup today. The process for that will be posted at a later date. The plate: And flat bread - Kris

Croissant in the making

Making: Sourdough Croissants! Makes 8-12 depending on cut size Here's what I have: Dough 28 G butter  315 g flour plus additional for dusting.  *Today I'm using King Arthur gluten free bread flour 25 G sugar  1 tsp salt  97 G sourdough starter  180 ML whole milk  Butter pad 240 G butter  Allowed to soften at room temp. Egg wash 1 large egg 2 tbsp whole milk Preparation: In total this recipe took 3 days from mixing to lamination process then baking. Day 1  The dry goods were all combined in the mixing bowl and whisked together until incorporated. The bowl is placed on the stand mixer and set to the third setting with the dough hook in. Slowly I added milk and butter in increments. Once all the what ingredients were in the bowl I turned the speed up and let it run scraping down the sides every once in a while until a dough ball formed. Making the butter sheet: While the mixer was going I placed the butter for the butter sheet in between parchment ...